Parents of children who have undergone heart surgery are to give a very special thank you to the staff and volunteers of the Children’s Heart Centre in Our Ladies Hospital Crumlin.
Little Heart Warriors Ireland have created a thank you photo collage that will include images and personal thank you messages of children aged between two months to 12 years old with a congenital heart defect (CHD), who were cared for at the Children’s Heart Centre in Our Ladies Hospital Crumlin.
The collage was revealed on Sunday, April 7th to the parents of the children for the first time as well as a presentation to the hospital in a special event at Palmerstown House Estate in Johnstown, Co Kildare.
Irina Duane and Rhona Cullinan.
The idea was brought to life by celebrity make-up artist Rhona Cullinan from Dublin, and Irina Duane of Happy Memories Photography in Waterford. Rhona’s little daughter Molly Johnson (1.5yrs) has already undergone two open-heart surgeries, while Irina’s little boy Leo Duane (4 months) had his first open heart surgery at just 4 days old. Molly who was also born with down syndrome was given a six month all clear in January, while Leo is making great progress.
Rhona decided to do something special for the staff in the hospital to say thank you. Rhona said: "I just felt a box of chocolates or a thank you card wasn’t enough to let them know how much we appreciate everything they did for us”. Together, Rhona and Irina created the Facebook page Little Heart Warriors Ireland and undertook to create the thank you photo collage.
It's a big thank you to all the staff, from the doctors to the volunteers. It is also to give hope to parents whose children may be facing surgery. “You spend a lot of time at the heart unit and it can be quite hopeless at times. We hope that the photographs of these amazing and brave children will provide great encouragement and strength to parents of children diagnosed with CHD”.
Over a number of weeks, Irina took professional photographs of all the children in the project. In a series of shoots in her studio in Waterford and then in Dublin, Irina captured beautiful images of 72 Little Heart Warriors. Rhona was busy engaging with parents, liaising with the printers and framers, and organising all of the activities for the Little Heart Warriors family day. JD Hackitts was kind enough to donate their time and expertise to print and frame the beautiful collage.
The photo collage was revealed to the parents and hospital at this event for the first time and broadcast on Facebook Live for parents who cannot attend because their child is still in the hospital.
We wanted to say thank you so much to everybody who came and watched in on Saturday we had a fantastic day. Thank you all so much for your support after covering costs we still managed to raise nearly €1,000 for heart children Ireland!
There's just a few special people we would really like to thank
SPECIAL THANKS TO
* PALMERSTOWN HOUSE ESTATE
* MARTIN AND DEREK FROM ALL EVENT PRODUCTIONS FOR PROVIDING THE PA SYSTEM AND SET UP
* HOWARD MYERS FOR CREATING THE BEHIND THE SCENES CLIP MUSIC AND COMPARING ON THE DAY
* VIVIEN DRESE FROM R & R PHOTOGRAPHY
* SUZANNE AND ALL OF THE TEAM AT OLCH
* MARGARET AOIFE TRISH AND ALL THE TEAM FROM HEART CHILDREN IRELAND
* PAUL CARMODY FRAMING FOR FRAME
* KARL AND DESIGN TEAM FROM JD HACKETTS PRINTERS
* FRANCES MALONE, RHONETTE AND KATHY CULLINAN FOR ORGANISING RAFFLE AND DECOR
* SUPPLIERS OF RAFFLE PRIZES – CREATIVE SPA, JACKIE MASON REIKI HEALER, CIARA BYRNE FROM THE POWDER ROOM,
* ROSE CONFECTIONARY AND AUDREY HARDWOOD FOR ALL THEIR PRIZES
* ELLEN AND DANIEL – OUR ELSA AND OLAF
* SAM AND SIMAYA FOR PERFORMING AMAZINGLY
* OUR TOUCHING MUMS WHO SHARED THEIR AMAZING STORIES
* OUR FAMILIES FOR PUTTING UP WITH US
* AVA MEADE THE 12 YEAR OLD WHO'S LITTLE BROTHER IS A WARRIOR – FOR DESIGNING THE FAB LOGO
AND THE AMAZING DR ORLA FRANKLIN WHO TOOK TIME FROM HER HOLIDAYS TO COME AND RECEIVE THE FRAME ON BEHALF OF THE HOSPITAL AND EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE IT THE AMAZING DAY IT WAS!!
Our amazing Little Heart Warriors
Show us some love and like us on Facebook!